Friday, March 6, 2009

My Little Potty

As the title clearly states, potty training is not a distant goal. It is closer and closer to becoming the reality around here. I have no idea what to do. I feel like I have ideas about other things in parenting but I have had trepidation about potty training since BEFORE I had these children. Now the rubber meets the road. This must occur.

Jonathan took the base of the new toilet cleaning brush I had purchased last week and squatted on it and said, "I go pee-pee on my little potty." Hint, hint: Mom, buy a little potty. So, against all previous ideas that I had, we now have a little potty in our bathroom. Yuck - another toilet to clean and this one doesn't flush. I just wanted him to sit on the big one and go. He's scared of falling in. He peed on the little potty last night before his bath. We are starting slow and just letting him get used to the idea. Soon, I'll have to buy underwear and prepare for the potential messes. I am hoping to wait until April when the weather is predictably nicer, but if he is really ready sooner I will be ready, too.

On another note: Jamie's parents are here. Jonathan is having a whee of a time with them. Caleb hasn't been quite as agreeable. He screamed at Judy for a while this morning while I was outside. Good thing she had four babies and has ten grandchildren. Jamie and I are going out for breakfast tomorrow morning while they watch the boys. I'm just going to tell Caleb that he needs to be nice. I'll let you know how that works out for us.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

How funny that he wanted to pee on the toilet brush holder! We just got Allie a little potty and are doing the same thing you are...just letting her get used to the idea. She still doesn't come and tell us, but if we set her on it, she will go. Progress! Here's to hoping that she takes off before the baby comes. I would love to have her out of diapers. And I agree with the trepidation...it totally stresses me out. Diapers are easy and predictable...underwear is not!!