When I elect to "redirect" my stubborn two year old, I have to mentally prepare myself to dole out the consequences when he doesn't comply. It's like a soldier preparing for battle. I have to make sure I can physically accomplish the task of "time out" (not in the middle of nursing Caleb or some such limitation), I have to make sure I'm ready for the crying fit that may ensue, I have to take a deep breath and pray for patience... you get the picture. This parenting thing is NOT for wimps. Teaching a child to listen to a request the first time is exhausting and a very long process.
Example:
"Jonathan, please don't go into Caleb's room. He's sleeping."
Looks at me with a challenge. Goes into Caleb's room. Pokes at Caleb through the crib slats.
"Jonathan, you are in time out. You need to listen to Mommy."
Screaming fit from Jonathan. Wakes up Caleb. Caleb is now crying.
Mommy is closing her eyes, practicing deep breathing. Praying for patience.
After two minutes in the corner by the cold door:
"Jonathan, you need to listen and obey what I say. Do you understand?"
"Yes, Mommy."
"I love you." Kisses and hugs and a kleenex for the snot running down his face from crying.
To be repeated COUNTLESS times in one week for different offenses (sometimes with a spanking, instead). Repeated at least once a day for this same offense. Sometimes requires more than one time out session to get the required, "Yes, Mommy." See what I mean? Preparation for battle.
Sarah
1 comment:
I witnessed all of the above (except the poking Caleb part since he had Anna to distract him) several times. That only thing you left out is waht a great job you do! I agree that it takes so much mental energy which is why Anna was rarely disciplined while Dylan was going through chemo. I thought it would be better to say nothing than to say something and have her figure out I didn't mean it. Maybe I was wrong about that, but we were in survival mode and I wouldn't (or couldn't) change anything going back.
Post a Comment