Some people have easy going babies. Not me. My children are not colicky and they sleep some. But, they go from pleasant and happy to very ticked in record time. I've determined that babies are just meant to be one of God's mysteries. Why are they crying? Hmm... could be any one of fifteen reasons. Why do they have gas? Hmm... could be something I ate, but what? when? Or, it could be just because they are babies. Who can really know?
I've also surmised that one of the reasons that babies are a mystery is because God's design is that we get to know our children and not expect easy answers and quick fixes. Patience is not one of my strong points. If a sermon gets too long at church I start fidgeting and doodling. If Jamie's explanation for something lasts too long I struggle to remain focused on listening. I hate lines at stores and would NEVER willingly shop during a busy time if it meant waiting a lot. There are no shortcuts for knowing my children. There are no quick fixes when it comes to raising a child or teaching a baby to sleep well. Perseverance and patience prevail.
Someone was asking me about something in regards to teaching Jonathan to listen. It reminded me of teaching Jonathan not to venture into the street. It took no less than fifty time-outs/spankings to accomplish obedience. I started to wonder if I would ever win that battle and my patience was surely wearing THIN. Finally - he listened.
I love to sleep. Newborn children and sleeping are in opposition to one another. So, we persevere and love on our baby. We do what we know to do and trust God with the rest... even when we're tired.
If we had it all figured out it would kind of take God out of the mix - I'm always learning that I'm not in control, and I concede that this is a good thing.
Hoping for good sleep, again, soon!
Sarah
1 comment:
I'm right there with you Sarah. I believe God gave me children to teach me patience and trust. And with each one, He's basically had to reteach me.
Those first few months can seem like a lifetime when you are living in them!
Post a Comment