Friday, September 4, 2009

Packing Visionary

It has been apparent from the early days of our marriage that Jamie is the organized one. The one who makes lists in his head, the one who's closet is organized by some system, the one who packs the car for trips... and the list goes on. I'm the one who jams all of my clothes for a trip into a duffle and hopes that I've remembered everything in my frantic attempt to leave.

My method is somewhat disfunctional with children. Forgetting certain items (namely a beloved blankie or the pack 'n' play) is a bit problematic. Before children I could just survive without most things that I forgot or buy new (socks... did this many times with socks) if really needed.

I turned over a new leaf this summer when I made a list for my travels to Iowa by myself. I could not rely on my dear husband for his packing since he was conspiciously absent during our departure. I really thought I had arrived with this list. I saved it on the computer and we are using an edited version of it for our little road trip this weekend.

However, I will never have truly arrived. This realization came to me tonight as Jamie and I were discussing whether or not to bring Jonathan's bike on our trip. He said, "I think it might just fit in the side between the seats." We didn't have anything in the car, yet!! How could he possibly know where something might fit without anything in the car?? Unless, the truly unfathomable occurs in his brain: does he actually invision where things will go in the car before he puts them in there?

So, I asked. He answered. It's true. Somehow his brain looks at the massive pile of stuff in the living room and organizes it into a vision for how it will all fit into the car. Then, he plans when to put things in to accomplish his vision and viola!! We are packed.

No list is going to help my brain accomplish that kind of vision. I am destined for the heave and shove method when left to my own devices. So, tonight, once again, I thank my God for my James. My James who can pack anything into that car.

2 comments:

Beckysblog said...

I think Jamie and I would get along well!
We think alike! ;)

Cassie said...

and you and i would get along...because WE think alike.
i have always told my husband that packing is his god-given gift. that man knows how to pack a car...or moving truck...like no other. sounds like jamie may be the exception.
:)