If you were a mouse on the wall, you might hear some comments like these:
"These brussels have lots of deliciousness in them. I love them!" Caleb
"I'm naming the dragon that I made 'flick fluke'." Jonathan
The last requires a little explanation. We talk about where things come from a fair amount around here. It may have started when we began gardening or it may have started because I'm a scientist and a teacher. Or a combo of both. Anyway, we talk about where things come from. I may have mentioned the questions we've had about babies (that's kind of an obvious "come from" question), but we've had ones about metal ("I've never seen a metal plant or a metal animal so where does metal come from?"), and so the list goes.
We talk about where food comes from and my meat-loving boys are not the least bit squeamish. Caleb told Jamie that he wanted him to shoot a turkey and cut off it's head so we could eat it for Thanksgiving. We've had dinnertime conversations about meat and vegetables and pancakes and bread and where all of them come from. I do not make things up. If I don't know, I say so because the oldest Guild has what I call a "crapometer" and can tell if something smells fishy or somewhat made-up.
They wanted Halloween candy one evening so I told them they had to eat their healthy food first. I was questioned about why M & M's weren't healthy and where they came from. Remember, no lying.
So I answered, "In a factory."
"What are they made of in a factory?"
No lying. "Chemicals that they make in the factory and some chocolate that came from a bean."
"Why aren't they healthy?"
Answer: "They don't help you grow or fight off sickness."
"Well what happens to them, then?"
"You poop them out after they go through digestion."
Things kind of ended there. Thankfully.
Except that we had some Christmas M&Ms for a party a few weeks ago. And, Caleb informed a few guests about M&Ms. Unsolicited.
"M&Ms are made of chemicals in a factory. And they're not good for you. You just poop them out."
Love that not so much. The not lying about stuff is going to have to probably come with a little bit of training on the verbal filters, I do suppose. It certainly doesn't stop them from loving sweet candy treats :)
Merry Christmas. Maybe you can eat some delicious chemicals in the form of M&Ms. We recommend the peanut butter variety.
No comments:
Post a Comment