At six:
- Loves to have books read to him... recent favorites include Mr. Popper's Penguins and The Boxcar Children series. He told me after we finished several books in the Boxcar series that he would like to be a boxcar child when they lived in the boxcar. I can totally relate. I used to think that kind of thing sounded awesome, and I admit, I still kind of do.
- Likes to have his clothes fit tightly. I mention this because it drives both of us a little crazy. He is not a large child so having clothes that are tight enough to fit his fancy means buying skinny jeans and cinching those things up to the max. And, he is wearing the same couple of shirts repeatedly because they suit his fitting fancy. I'm trying to be chill about it, but it does present laundry challenges.
- Play legos for hours. Mostly making his own crazy creations.
- Loves, loves, loves dogs. He is most understanding when I tell him why we aren't getting one right now, but I can think of nothing (except a sister) the sweet boy would love more than a furry friend. His best friend is Grayson, the neighborhood golden retriever.
- Fights with and loves dearly his brother. They play amazingly well and they fight amazingly well. They are both strong and feisty so it isn't a wonder that they seem to swing from fighting to playing and back with such ease.
- Prefers to not have babysitters come. He has informed me that he only wants to go to Aunt Carla's when we have something going on. Too bad she has things going on, too, buddy.
- Is growing in his compassion for his schoolmates... this is a delight to see and hear.
- Loves to eat and his favorites are: flank steak, melon, pizza, chicken noodle soup, my green beans, Lauren M.'s banana bread, and toast at Aunt Carla's house.
This year has been a year of transitions for us with Jonathan starting school, but it has also been a start to a sweet season. This gem of a child is the one who first called me "momma" and being the first means we always walk into the next phase of parenting with him. Can't wait to see what the next year holds, my first little man!
No comments:
Post a Comment