Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Reading to the Boys

What mother wouldn't love to sit the rocking chair, two little people she calls 'son' in her lap, reading stories? It is certainly not an opportunity that I let pass by very easily.

Jonathan loves to read stories. All kinds of stories. We just finished reading "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" to him. He really liked it, despite the lack of pictures. He loves Curious George books, truck books of any kind, books about fire houses and fire engines, reptile books, and books about the human body.

Caleb likes to hold the books, turn the pages himself and walk around with the books. He likes to sit and read them only when he wants Jonathan's place on my lap or he has his blankie and is ready for bed.
Jonathan also loves to "race". Any kind of race. He gets irritated when he doesn't win, however, so he prefers to race his friends on his bike. Most of his friends are older and taller than he so it is difficult for him to win a foot race. The bike is another story. He is a kamakazee on that thing.

Caleb is a fast mover these days... I would probably classify his motion as running because it involves quick motion on my part to keep him from escaping. When we go to the park I follow, climb, jump... the whole time! When we're outside, I'm always standing. On guard for a quick motion that would put him in the street. Jonathan tested the limits of the street so quickly and so stubbornly that I was able to teach him not to go there after sticking with it for a couple of weeks. Caleb doesn't really try to go in the street so I have less chances to teach him not to do so. Does that make sense? It seems like the boundaries are easier to teach when they test them.

All this to say: life is pretty much status quo around here. In the sameness there is blessing so I am thankful.


No comments: