Tuesday, February 15, 2011

"Mommy, Watch This!"

Followed by a crash. Not a good combo. In an attempt at a "fancy maneuver" Jonathan landed chin first on the tile floor of the kitchen. There was a lot of blood.

We stopped first at the children's hospital urgent care. People advised this as our best choice since, of course, they understand children. There was a three hour wait, and I observed two people with masks on through the glass to the waiting room. I decided we would visit the urgent care for the family practice we regularly use instead of waiting three hours and possibly catching some horrible infectious bug.

On the way home Jonathan told me, "Tell Daddy I was really super brave."

Let's see:
You didn't cry when the doctor (who clearly isn't experienced with children and is nothing like Dr. Holly who we usually see) poked at your gaping chin, jabbed that lidicane needle in there like it was raw meat, covered your face with a drape, and stitched your chin back together. In fact, you didn't say one thing until we left the office. Then, you asked for a lemonade. Followed by the request to tell Daddy how brave you were. In my "mommy to a four year old" book that is brave. Especially because I had a moment where I thought I might pass out when looking at that hideous curved needle. (In my defense, it was insanely hot in there.)

Ruth and Keith warned me that stitches or something of the like would be in my future with two boys... guess I'll just be glad that this time it was only three stitches and they were just on the chin.

3 comments:

abby said...

Oh Sarah, what a brave little boy indeed! I almost cried just reading about it!

kathy said...

i would have had to put my head between my legs so as not to get sick LOL.

Beckysblog said...

Stitches are NOT fun.
I had stitches in my chin as a teen and I about cried, screamed and passed out.
Then when Lauren had stitches as a 2.5 year old in her forehead, I had to sit down 1/2 way through - I was close to passing out.

So WAY TO GO little guy!!! You were very brave.